General conditions include constraints related to several needs, namely:
- To deepen involvement and participation of the whole ISCTE-IUL community;
- To improve awareness of natural resource use (materials, energy and water), waste and environmentally harmful emissions;
- To integrate environment and sustainability topics in the syllabus of curricular units.
- The limited flexibility in changing the curricular structure of teaching programs within the accreditation processes, although there is a growing awareness in the academic milieu of sustainability concerns;
- The low budgetary margin for granting incentives to research and curriculum updating;
- A communication culture still based on paper, consumption of material resources and energy, and production of waste and emissions;
- The difficulty of introducing a global view of reducing the environmental impacts in procurement processes;
- The configuration of ISCTE-IUL campus, with several buildings of different construction types and technical systems.
Environmental conditions affected by our activity include:
- The use of natural resources: energy from fossil sources, water, materials;
- The production of waste and emissions resulting from campus operations and travel;
- Noise from regular activity events organized in the campus;
- Construction work for campus maintenance, rehabilitation and expansion.
Environmental conditions affecting our activity include:
- Air quality in urban surroundings;
- Climate change – extreme weather events may condition campus activities;
- Environmental noise, motivated by car traffic and the positioning of ISCTE-IUL beneath the Lisbon airport take-off/landing route.