The economic dimension of sustainability in ISCTE-IUL refers to the impact of the Institution's decisions and activities on the economic condition of its stakeholders and economic systems at local, national and global level. In this sense, ISCTE-IUL has an integrated financial management system supported by analytical accounting systems that allows regular monitoring of the costs and revenues of ISCTE-IUL courses and respective Schools.
In order to ensure prosperity - rather than just economic growth - ISCTE-IUL aims to "promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all" (based on the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals).
ISCTE-IUL defines the following strategic objectives in the economic dimension of Sustainability:
- To contribute to the economic growth of the country, increasing the rate of acquisition of goods and services produced in Portugal, and indirectly through the economic impact of its activity in the surrounding community;
- Improve efficiency in the use of resources in management, operational and support processes, reducing energy and water consumption, as well as the use of paper, printer toners and plastic materials;
- Continuously improve student support processes through Career Services and Alumni Office;
- Contribute to the creation of jobs and decent work by reinforcing the themes related to entrepreneurship, creativity and innovation in teaching and research activities, and by deepening teaching and research topics to monitor the evolution of the national labor market (for example sustainable tourism);
- Promote teaching, research and university extension that contributes to the improvement of economic productivity and to a greater availability of national financial institutions to support the economy.